Saturday, March 10, 2012

Gear Review

This is primarily a gear review about two products I used yesterday on the Owyhee River: My new GoPro Hero 2 HD camera referenced in my previous post, and this was my first experience with Cutthroat furled leaders - leaders made not out of monofilament like most on the shelf at your local fly shops, but rather out of several pieces of thread twisted together, and then tapered much like a regular leader.  Cutthroat leaders is a local company from Boise, and man are they nice!  They have no memory, do not get wind knots, and made even an amateur like myself cast like a pro!  I'm sold!

As for the GoPro - I love it!  A sample of what it can do is included below (and perhaps I should have cleaned my windshield).  I also discovered that even when it no longer has enough battery life to video, it's 11 megapixel wide angle camera feature works like a champion! I hooked a fish in excess of 25" (which I would have broken off had it not been for my new leader), and the battery life would not allow me to video the catch.  Plan B: Put it in photo burst mode, set to snap a shot every two seconds, and viola - still able to capture a fantastic fish and quickly release him unharmed! With days off this good, who needs a job?..............






No comments:

Post a Comment