Friday, November 12, 2010

Here goes nothin'.....

Well I’ve finally decided to join the digital age and maintain a blog (despite telling myself several times that I never would). After watching the job Bridgette has done capturing the fun times we have had with our two sons Drake and Connor, I have realized that blog’s are more than just an outlet for random fodder on a public domain – they are yet another way that we as a technological generation are able to capture memories through a different medium than scrapbooking or photo albums, and to share those memories with whomever we choose no matter what distance may separate us.

To that end (and is a DISCLAIMER), I must mention that the purpose of this site is just that: to capture memories that might otherwise be lost. This is a blog about fly fishing – and I am most certainly an amateur angler. I make no claim of using this site to pass along information worthy of a local fishing report – but rather to simply showcase some of the breathtaking places that my hobby takes me, to share some fly patterns that I’ve found success with, and to discuss the act of standing quietly in water with a fly rod in hand – and finally, to display how this activity shapes an opinion about life in general.

Please note that I have not (and will never) used the word “sport” in this introduction. That is because fly fishing is not a sport – it is much more than that. The term sport implies competition, and there is simply nothing competitive about fly fishing – in fact, fly fishing is competitions antithesis. Bass fishing has become a competitive sport in the modern day and this is, at least in my view, shameful. If fishing is a sport to you, this reading will likely not appeal to you.

Simply put – this is a blog for people who enjoy and appreciate being outside. It’s a blog that espouses catch-and-release ethics when dealing with wild trout. It’s a blog for people who believe in tying their own flies even when it means sacrificing some quality. And finally, it’s a blog for people who understand that the simple act of casting a fly line, independent of whether or not the fish are eating, can be the most remarkably therapeutic thing on earth.

See you soon………..

No comments:

Post a Comment