Monday, November 15, 2010

'Tis the Season..........almost

Well it is beginning to feel like the holiday season, although this post is about a birthday gift......


About a month ago I was wanting to build another fly rod because, as with all things, rod building improvement is only made through experience. Since I really do not "need" another fly rod, and could not justify the expense based on a "want", I put the word out via Facebook to see if anyone wanted one. My Sister-in-law Jennie requested that I build one for my Brother as a birthday gift from her, and so began another rod building project.


The rod turned out better than I could have ever imagined - it was a deep blue glossy rod with matching thread - I was wanting to build a rod where the guide wraps blended seamlessly within the color of the rod, and I accomplished that with this rod.


It was also my first experience building a 4 piece travel rod, but it will most definitely not be my last - I like the fact that each section of the rod can be tackled independent of the others, and it seems to lend itself to a more careful attention to detail in terms of both overall fit and finish of the rod, and also in terms of accurately finding the spine for casting accuracy.


Unfortunately, and with a deep regret, I must confess that I never photographed this rod. I wish I had that decision back. However I can assure you that the rod casts nicer than any of my own. I took it outside in the grassy common area adjacent to my house and put it through some demanding paces. The rod possessed balance and casting ability unparalleled to any rod I have had the pleasure of casting. I was able to cast with pinpoint accuracy at a very close range, and yet almost effortlessly shoot 65 feet of line out with little strain. Not bad for a 5 weight.....


Now I anxiously await the feedback as the gift should be received this Friday.


So, what better companion gift could I give to my brother to accompany his Wife's than some flies?? I put some thought into patterns that I've found success with over the years, and decided on 10 patterns that I though would be useful to someone just beginning to acquaint himself with fly fishing: This is a gift that cost $6 for a small fly box - I already had the materials, and the rest was simply time. Here is the result............



No comments:

Post a Comment